PRETORIA REFUTES MEDIA REPORTS OF PLANS TO RETRECH 30,000 GOVT EMPLOYEES

JOHANNESBURG– South African Public Service and Administration Minister Ayanda Dlodlo has refuted media reports that the government plans to retrench 30,000 public servants to cut costs, descriving the reports as a complete misrepresentation of the government’s programme.

Its intended objective is to create unnecessary and dangerous panic not only in the public service but the entire country and it must be rejected with the contempt it deserves, she said here Monday.

The Mail & Guardian newspaper on Friday reported that the process to retrench public servants would take place over three years and could save the government up to 20 billion Rand (about 1.39 billion US dollars).

Speaking when she visited the Rahima Moosa Mother and Child hospital in Johannesburg, Dlodlo said the reality was that President Cyril Ramaphosa’s call to restructure government in order to enhance service delivery and make the public service more effective and efficient by removing superfluous functions and structures did not include an option of retrenchment as reported in the newspaper.

The report is a complete misrepresentation of the government’s programme in relation to the macro organization of the State and the initiatives proposed to manage the public sector wage bill, she said, adding that there has been no evidence which suggests that the public service is over-staffed.

“I assure public servants that Government does not have a plan to retrench public servants en masse as alleged by the Mail & Guardian newspaper. If people leave the public service, it will not be because of retrenchment, but it will be because of packages offered to them with no penalties, Dlodlo said.

Dlodo said the government had been looking at decreasing the numbers but did not reach the conclusion of retrenching people. The government had been looking at ways of relieving the older generation to make way for the younger generation.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK

PRETORIA REFUTES MEDIA REPORTS OF PLANS TO RETRECH 30,000 GOVT EMPLOYEES

JOHANNESBURG– South African Public Service and Administration Minister Ayanda Dlodlo has refuted media reports that the government plans to retrench 30,000 public servants to cut costs, descriving the reports as a complete misrepresentation of the government’s programme.

Its intended objective is to create unnecessary and dangerous panic not only in the public service but the entire country and it must be rejected with the contempt it deserves, she said here Monday.

The Mail & Guardian newspaper on Friday reported that the process to retrench public servants would take place over three years and could save the government up to 20 billion Rand (about 1.39 billion US dollars).

Speaking when she visited the Rahima Moosa Mother and Child hospital in Johannesburg, Dlodlo said the reality was that President Cyril Ramaphosa’s call to restructure government in order to enhance service delivery and make the public service more effective and efficient by removing superfluous functions and structures did not include an option of retrenchment as reported in the newspaper.

The report is a complete misrepresentation of the government’s programme in relation to the macro organization of the State and the initiatives proposed to manage the public sector wage bill, she said, adding that there has been no evidence which suggests that the public service is over-staffed.

“I assure public servants that Government does not have a plan to retrench public servants en masse as alleged by the Mail & Guardian newspaper. If people leave the public service, it will not be because of retrenchment, but it will be because of packages offered to them with no penalties, Dlodlo said.

Dlodo said the government had been looking at decreasing the numbers but did not reach the conclusion of retrenching people. The government had been looking at ways of relieving the older generation to make way for the younger generation.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK