Police Drop Charges Against Former President’s Son

Andrew Banda waves at his sympathizers at Woodlands Police Station

Andrew Banda waves at his sympathizers at Woodlands Police Station

The Zambian government has withdrawn the defamation charges they slapped against former president Rupiah Banda’s Son, Andrew.

His lawyer Milner Katolo has confirmed saying the case has since been closed.

Police in Lusaka on Thursday, July 25, 2013 picked Banda’s Son and locked him for some hours before he was released for having called the Zambian leader Michael Sata a Satanist during a campaign public meeting in Eastern province.

The Police had arrested, recorded a warn and caution statement from Andrew awaiting formal charges. Andrew was to be driven to Chipata the provincial capital of Eastern province where he is alleged to have uttered the defamatory remarks.

Andrew’s release and close of the case according to Police is on condition that he should not continue engaging in acts of defaming President Sata.

This was arrived at when Andrew appeared at Police Headquarters in Lusaka on Friday, July 26, 2013. According to his lawyer the Police said the case had been withdrawn and closed for the sake of peace and harmony.

But Sources within the Police have told Zambian Eye that the case was dropped because there was no sufficient evidence as the said remarks would be difficult to prove. It would be taken as a hearsay, a source told Zambian Eye Saturday, July 27, 2013.