Mass burial for Chibombo accident victims to be held in Kabwe

The Zambian government has announced that it will bury the 17 Chibombo road traffic accident victims at Mass burial in Kabwe, their home town.

The burial will be held on Saturday, May 4, 2013 at the old St. Mary’s cemetery in Kabwe

Central Province Permanent Secretary Annie Sinyangwe told journalists in Kabwe today, May 2, 2013 that provincial administration will meet all the funeral costs.

She disclosed that all the bodies have since been identified adding that her office had been in touch with relatives of the deceased who happened to have been all Kabwe residents and traders. She explained that victims on the fateful day were all going to Lusaka to order merchandise for sale.

Mrs Sinyangwe said the burial procession will be preceded  a church service to be presided by the Zambia Army Chaplains and the Church mother bodies at Railways grounds. She explained that government has allowed some families that requested to bury their deceased elsewhere.

The Permanent Secretary disclosed that the Local Authority has already issued the burial permits to all the families. She says those wishing to attend the funeral are welcome and can contact Patrick Chishala who is Kabwe District Commissioner.

Meanwhile the Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit Regional Coordinator Ingribet Bondo has revealed that his office has given to each deceased family five 50 kilograms bags of mealie-meal, 10 litres of cooking oil, a 50 kg bag of Kapenta and 50 kg bag of beans to help out during the funeral.

The 17 perished in a fatal traffic accident on Tuesday, April 30, 2013 when they were traveling in a minibus from Kabwe to Lusaka. The minibus had a tyre burst around Chisamba, lost control to hit into a truck and over turned.