First Lady expected to be among hundreds of mourners of the Chibombo Victims

Christine_KasebaFirst Lady Dr Christine Kaseba Sata is expected to be among hundreds of mourners who will witness the mass burial of the post bus victims who perish in one of the most fatal road traffic accident in the history of this country.

Preparations for the mass burial scheduled for Monday has reached an advanced stage.

According to a brief by the Post Master General Macpherson Chanda during a funeral preparatory meeting chaired by Provincial Minister Mwenya Musenge yesterday morning, all the bodies of the accident which have been identified by relatives have been transported to their respective destinations.

Only four bodies which have not yet been identified are still lying in Kabwe General Hospital mortuary.

Three of the unidentified bodies are suspected to be for those who were on board of the truck while the fourth one is suspected to be for a post bus passenger.

Mr Chanda revealed that 45 bodies have been transported to Ndola in readiness for burial while three other bodies have been transported to Lusaka.

He further said three other bodies have been taken to Kitwe while one body has been taken to Nakonde.

Mr Chanda also disclosed that by last night, Zampost management had managed to pass through all the 44 homes to offers its condolences and render some logistic support towards funeral expenses.

Mr Chanda said besides the provision of a casket and K1m funeral support, Zampost will also allocate each family a 26 setter bus to carry relatives on the burial day.

And Copperbelt Minister Mwenya Musenge was happy to note that Zampost who are the owners of the bus were on top of things.

Mr Mwenya told the meeting that government was keen to see to it that the burden of the bereaved families is lightened.

He said to this effect the provincial administration was also offering some logistical support to the bereaved families to lighten the burden.

The Provincial Minister further disclosed that government has identified Monday as the burial date for the Ndola based accident victims at which first Lady Dr Kaseba Sata is expected.

Mr Mwenya however said government will not stop any family who may wish not to be part of the mass burial which will take place at Mitengo cemetery.

The burial will be preceded by an inter-denomination service to be held at the Levy Mwanawasa stadium.

A special plot has been identified where the remains of the accident victims will be put to rest in individual graves and, government had initially identified Tuesday next week as a possible day for burial.

Meanwhile, one family has so far indicated that they will burial their relative today while two other families have also indicated that they wish bury their relatives tomorrow.

Over 50 people perished in a road traffic accident involving a post bus and a truck which happened at John Chinena in Chibombo district in Central province on Thursday this week.

President Michael Sata has since declared a three-day period of national mourning starting Monday to Wednesday next week in honour of the accident victims.

ZANIS