A hoax on AFCON qualification sends Zambians into celebrations

File: Soccer fans celebrating

File: Soccer fans celebrating

Zambian soccer fans late Wednesday afternoon went to the streets of the capital’s central districts celebrating after getting information that later turned to be a hoax that Zambia National Team had qualified to the second round of the on-going AFCON.

The information going round Zambia and Social media was that the Chipolopolo Boys had been awarded three points after Burkina Faso used a goal keeper who was not qualified to play since he had been served two yellow cards.

This saw some Zambians celebrating, some soccer fans were heard honking and jubilating on the city’s main streets – Cairo and Cha Cha Cha and around Kafue Road about and Independence Avenue.

Others mounted the flags on their vehicles which they had taken off the previous night after Zambia drew with Burkina Faso and fail to make it for the AFCON quarterfinals.Zambia needed a win to qualify to the quarterfinals to defend the trophy they won last year.

FAZ Communications officer Eric Mwanza told a Lusaka based private Radio station that the information was a rumour without any truth.

“We need to look forward to coming matches and not dwell on the rumor” he said. some of the boys have already dispersed to their respective clubs and the rest expected to touch down tomorrow morning,”  said Mwanza.

 

The hoax also disturbed senior government officials.

“My phone is buzzing with inquiries on whether Zambia has qualified due to some technicality???? As much as the rumour would have made the day for all of us, unfortunately it’s not true. Just spoke to the High Commissioner in SA,” said Deputy Minister of Finance Miles Sampa.

Zambia becomes the first defending champion since 1992 to fail to make it for the quarterfinal.