5,000 jobs coming

MORE than 5,000 jobs are expected to be created countrywide following distribution of 1,300 Higer buses to members of the Public and Private Drivers Association of Zambia (PPDAZ).
The long-awaited initiative was a loan scheme from the Development Bank of Zambia (DBZ) in which Higer Bus Company limited would supply the buses to PPDAZ members.
Transport, Works, Supply and Communications Deputy Minister Panji Kaunda said 5,000 jobs would be created when operations advance in the empowerment scheme.
This is yet another boost towards Government’s drive to create more jobs in the informal sector aimed at reducing poverty levels.
Colonel Kaunda made the announcement at State House yesterday after President Michael Sata handed over two of the 1,300 Higer buses to two PPDAZ members.
Col Kaunda explained that DBZ would offer a 20 per cent loan scheme to PPDAZ while Higer Bus Company would also provide the remaining 80 per cent.