Explosive Kills Boy, 6

A SIX year-old boy of Lusaka’s Garden House Township has died after an explosive blew off his face.

Police spokesperson Charity Chanda said the incident occurred around 15:30 hours on Thursday and one stone crusher identified as Mercury Mweemba has since been apprehended to help with investigations.

Ms Chanda said two other children who were playing with the deceased sustained severe injuries and were currently receiving treatment at nearby clinics.

“The three children unknowingly touched wires and batteries connected to an explosive which they came across as they were playing. It was connected to an explosive which ignited in the process,” Ms Chanda said.

Ms Chanda said investigations had since been instituted into the matter to establish who was behind the planting of explosives in the

area because it was not the first incident the police were handling in the area.

“Police have apprehended a stone crusher identified as Mweemba of Garden house in connection with the incident, these incidents had been

reported to us on several occasions and this is a concern,” she said.

Meanwhile, a 45-year-old farmer in Mkushi is nursing serious head injuries after he was allegedly attacked by three men armed with

stones who demanded money from him.

Joseph Chapaya was attacked at Tuyu area in Mkushi around 21:00 hours and after resisting his attackers’ demand for money, they hit him with stones and left him for dead.

Central Province Commissioner of police Standwell Lungu said the attackers then got away with K1,600 cash and two mobile phones.

Mr Lungu said police have since picked up Chebby Siame, 34, Clever Semani, 26 while the third suspect Roger Chitambo is on the run.

Source : The Times of Zambia

Leave a Reply